Thursday, July 10, 2008

Week 6: #15

I read the article "Away from the Icebergs". I agree wholeheartedly with the author - libraries have to adapt to the times. I have wondered for several years - what is going to happen to libraries with so much information on the internet that is at times easier and more convenient to find then the limited information in most library collections. Libraries are going to have to change the way they operate. First of all the author says that the "just in case collection" is going to be a thing of the past. It's too expensive and is not being used as much as before because of the internet. Also, we're going to have a hard time teaching all of our patrons and we have to make it easy for them to access tools. Third, patrons aren't going to be coming to us all the time - we have to go to where they are using the internet- at their home, workplace, etc.
I also read Wikipedia about library 2.0. I think the article there is saying that the user is much more of a participant in how the "library" operates by being co-creator, builder and consultant.
I imagine this all applies more to high school libraries and public libraries. In elementary schools children still love books and the information that they get from a book. My older students - 5th and 6th graders though are quite aware of so much more of the web tools then I am. (but maybe not so much after this class!) We need to start with them I'm thinking.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I think that the key to all of this is that change is hard and many librarians are not convinced that change is yet necessary. You are correct though that change is already happened.

Another thing that is going to effect school libraries are 1 to 1 computer initiatives. How will students have instant access to information in class change the way that libraries are used?

Ann